History & Mission
It is the goal of the Macon Mosquito Abatement District to reduce mosquito annoyance and potential disease transmission by the mosquito using the safest and most environmentally sound methods available. It is our responsibility to do this while protecting the public and the environment from inappropriate risks. The district uses a variety of methods and approaches to accomplish this task.
The Macon Mosquito Abatement District was established in July, 1961 under the Mosquito Abatement Act (Chapter 111 ½, par. 73.990) by the Illinois Legislature in September 1927. When the District was formed the Sangamon River was included as it feeds Lake Decatur, then exits to the southwest accounting for its irregular shape. We serve the residents of Decatur Township and parts of the following townships: Blue Mound, Harristown, Hickory Point, Long Creek, Oakley, South Wheatland and Whitmore Townships.