History & Mission
It is the goal of the Macon Mosquito Abatement District to reduce mosquito annoyance and potential disease transmission by the mosquito using the safest and most environmentally sound methods available. It is our responsibility to do this while protecting the public and the environment from inappropriate risks. The district uses a variety of methods and approaches to accomplish this task.
The Macon Mosquito Abatement District was established in July, 1961 under the Mosquito Abatement Act (Chapter 111 ½, par. 73.990) by the Illinois Legislature in September 1927. When the District was formed the Sangamon River was included as it feeds Lake Decatur, then exits to the southwest accounting for its irregular shape. We serve the residents of Decatur Township and parts of the following townships: Blue Mound, Harristown, Hickory Point, Long Creek, Oakley, South Wheatland and Whitmore Townships.
Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes
Board of Trustees
A five member Board of Trustees governs the Macon Mosquito Abatement District. Trustees are residents of the District and are appointed by the Macon County Board President. Trustees serve without compensation, 2 year or 4 year terms.
President – Ryan Raleigh
Vice-President – Tom McQuistion
Secretary – Dr. Robert Groesch
Treasurer – Carol Carlton
Assistant Secretary – Sue Phillips
Director – Sam Force
Field Operations Manager – Jason Probus
Seasonal Biologist – Ian Thomas
8 Licensed Field Technicians
Licensed Field Inspector
Macon Mosquito Abatement District Coverage Map
How Do I Know If I Am Covered?
The MMAD lies within Macon County but does not include all of Macon County. Find out if you live within the District boundaries by following these steps:
- Visit the Macon County Property Tax Records page.
- Under Parcel Search, type in the property address. Parcel Number and Owner Name are not necessary.*
- Select the listing which matches the correct primary name and address of the property.
- Scroll down until the Taxing Districts list is visible.*
- Look for MACON MOSQ ABATE in the Taxing Districts list. If this is listed, your property qualifies for service from the Macon Mosquito Abatement District.
* See illustrations below